Saturday, October 11, 2014

Exam Strategy 7 - Practice questions


Hello everyone. Hope you are all pressing hard on the readings this weekend. It’s close to mid October, with 7 more weeks before the exam, your readings should be near the finish line in the next 2 to 3 weeks, and last 4 weeks should be only practicing questions no matter what level you are preparing for.

There were some interesting discussions in the comments last week about relationships and CFA preparation, and thanks to all of those who shared your life experience with us. As you all know, this is a tough journey and it takes a lot of time and energy from start to finish, sometime people stop at a certain level because of other priorities, a change of career path, jobs, or other family responsibilities to name a few, sometimes it is okay to put an exam behind for a few months, keep in mind you can always take it 6 months later or next year, certain things in life don’t come around every 6/12 months.

Having said that, my goal here is the same as yours that is to get you guys pass the exam. If you followed my advice so far, and put in the right amount of hours in the last few months, I would think you have completed most of the larger readings in the curriculum, and my advice here is to wrap up the remaining portion of the readings in the next 2 weeks, 3 weeks at the most, and dedicate the 4 remaining weeks to questions. Here's a few things I want to say about doing CFA questions.

For CFA textbook EOC questions: you might have done some of these questions throughout the preparation.  Or you can also take them as you finish reading each topic. What I did was I divided the books into sections, I did EOC questions once I finish reading each section until I went through all the major sections, but whichever way you feel more comfortable should be fine.  My experience with the CFA curriculum is some questions are very wordy in the books, I didn’t think they were representative of the actual exam questions (for l1 anyways), so I only did a selective few per section. If you have enough time, I’d recommend practice as many EOC questions as possible but remember you goal is to get as many done as possible before the exam, so don’t get stuck on the wordy questions too long.

When working on any questions, I created a system to categorize all the questions I have done, for example, questions where I got the answer wrong I marked them with a cross. For questions I needed to revisit (but I got the correct answer), I marked with a circle.  So I know exactly how I felt about each question when I go back and review them in a week. This way it helps me to determine how much time I should put in to review each question. It helps answer questions like: should I ever bother looking at a question again review? Or should I review it very carefully?

For any questions I did, if the question tested something I had not registered in my knowledge base, that means it’s brand new knowledge points, I would go back to my study notes and add the new stuff just next to my original notes in red, or at the end of the study section.  I did this in red ink as I have said before, bright colours help me remember things.

It is extremely important to know your strength and weakness in this process, by keeping a high level record of how many questions you have done and how many you got wrong in each test.  The point is to recognize your average marks in every testable area. You may not know your overall performance until later on in your preparation, that’s perfectly fine.  Overtime, this process will understand how you perform in each section, so you can design your study with a clear target to improve your marks in the weak sections. Once you have a sizable question bank, make sure you review them carefully at least once using the system I described above but with your own elements in it.

Time is of the essence, so you must optimize the expected ‘rate of return’. This is a game where you compete with time, your ‘rate of return’ is the number of ‘smart’ questions you have practiced that will help you pass. Notice here I said ‘optimize’, not ‘maximize’.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, finally, I have been clicking on refresh to check any update every day, finally your new post has arrived! Thanks, much appreciated!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, very helpful. That's very nice of you to take your time to post! You should definitively write a book ! I think it will be a great success!

Laura said...

Thanks a lot. I agree you should write a book as your blog is very inspirational. I like very much your personal touch in your blog. Great blog !

Michelle said...

Love love love love love love your blog !!!
I was so happy today when I saw your new update ! I am doing level 1. I was wondering if you could explain the relationship between interest and exchange rate and parity thing. Thanks a lot! Yes, write a book and I will be first one to buy !
Your blog really inspire me a lot. Although my mother and our neighbor don't really speak English, keep asking me if there is any update. I have read your blog one time to them in Chinese and they like it very much. So every 2 or 3 days your blog is like a followup serie for them. They ask me to tell you that you should write a book!

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot for this new post. I wrote a long comments but immediately after I click submit, all my writing was gone and it was not posted. Not sure if it will work this time. I agree with other of your fan, if you write a book, I will certainly buy. I like your personal experience with this difficult study journey. I'm also curious what kind of job you are doing, what kind of gf you are having and how is she supporting your study and blog and how is your relationship, if it is good, i will be interested to read your book and learn how to combine this heavy study with relationship.
Doing for third time level 1. I'm also interested to get a summary of Key points on relationship between interest rate and exchange rate and parity too.
More important, is financial analysis that's hard to digest. Too many formula and ratio, any important one to remember?
Thanks again, great inspirational and helpful bog!

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot. Great post. Again very helpful. Thanks for taking your time to share, very nice and generous from you. I agree, please write a book. I'm doing level 1 too and would also find helpful if you can put a key summary on relationship between interest and exchange rate and explain thus parity thing. Thanks.
Really like your blog a lot!

Isabelle said...

Thanks a lot for the post. So sad no new post, so sad! But I understand, we should just be a bit more patient.
I saw some people asking about relationship between interest date and exchange rare and parity...I was hoping there would be some explanation...because although I know, it us not totally clear and I tend to forget. But I notice whenever you explain, for example the inverse relationship between bind price and yield and interest rare, I will always remember now. You gave a very structural and clear way to explain with a good example so it makes it easy to understand but also to remember without even trying yo remember. I'm also doing level 1.,,if I pass you are the first one I will tell because your blog has helped me a lot, not only clarify things but big mental and i nspirationsl support! Thanks, your blog rocks! Now waiting for your next post.

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot. Very helpful. Been clicking every day, a bit sad no new update. Looking very much forward for your next post. Any further tips for level 2?
Let's say I only read the book, practice a bit and read your blog and do what you say in your blog, can i pass level 2?
This is my first attempt for level2, very anxious. Your blog is great inspirational and support!

Anonymous said...

Your blog has been very helpful for me, not just all your explanation but also the inspiration and mental support through your personal experience, and other people putting their comments sharing their journey. Thanks a lot. But I think I will stop it as I know I will fail and don't have time to study. I have had some personal problem, in short my gf has been really very fed up with my lack time , consideration, and love for her. I think if I stop study, I can focus on her. But it is not just for her, im also very fed up with this study, I'm not even sure if it us useful. But it want to thank for your bog, not sure about who is your gf and what type of relationship you have with your gf, but I think she must be very special, understanding or loving you very much to allow you to take time study and write this blog. I don't think my gf will stick around and wait till I complete all my study. But the truth is I'm also very fed up. Thanks fir all your post, please continue to post for other readers.

Greg said...

Thanks for post. So sad no new update. Hope you San update soon. Doing level 2 for second time....great blog. You should write a book...thumb up for your inspirational and very helpful blog! Please put a new post soon. Even sometimes things I already knife I enjoy reading your blog. Thanks

Mark said...

I wrote a long comments but your blog crashed when I submitted. Just wanna thanks for your post, very helpful blog. But so sad and bit disappointed no new post, been clicking every day and visiting your blog often to check new update but so sad, already one week no new update. Are you ok Passcfaexams? Are you still planning to write blog or you decide not to do anymore, so worried for exams but also sad no update....your blog is the best and cannot find any comparable, that's why this waiting is unbearable ....maybe because I'm a bit addicted to your blog.

PassCFAExams said...

Thanks Anonymous guys, Laura, Michelle, Isabelle, Greg and Mark. Hope you're having a productive weekend.

I've had a busy week at work and other person matters to take care of, that's why I have had time to really focus on the blog so far. My apologies. Just so you guys know, I don't plan to stop writing on this blog, even after the December exam, I will be writing more posts, as you notice I haven't been able to write as many posts as before but I will keep posting as long as I have something to write about CFA.

Regarding a book, thanks for your interests. I am not a writer type, but thanks for the idea, maybe i will think about it as I have more to publish.

Michelle, I am glad to hear your mother and neighbours like my blog :) are they also interested in CFA?

For one of the anonymous guys, I am sorry to hear that CFA is in the way before your gf. Doing or not doing CFA is a conscious decision we need to make, like I need to balance my time between work, life and the blog, you made a decision to balance out personal priorities which i totally understand. I wish everything works out for you, and your gf appreciates the effort you put your relationship ahead of this very important exam, and please tell her this is a big deal.

Isabelle, I will wait to hear from you in Jan. 2015 that you passed the exam!

Greg, thanks for the message. Mark, thanks for the concern, I am doing okay :) thanks also for your nice words, I will continue to write.

Lastly there was an anonymous comment about l2, please practice a LOT! not a bit. L2 is a new beast than l1, you need to get used to the format and be able to construct your answer given a question set, which is not hard to do but you need to practice.

Best to everyone, more posts will come out in the next couple of days.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your post and comment. Glad to see you are ok. I'm sure all of us were worried for you, especially your "die hard" fans :)
Please give us some more tips for level 2. If you could put a summary of things to remember or focus for level 2 and we can just focus on those items, then it would be great. There us just too many things to remember. I feel I won't be able to pass....thanks for your inspirational blog and looking forward your blog.

Anonymous said...

omg, still no update...so sad...i thought to read your blog before dinner time...hope you will post new update soon. Thanks a lot for your blog, very helpful and inspirational. Why don't you write a book so that we can buy it and no need to wait for your blog :)
I really like your blog a lot...Thanks. You have no idea how you inspire me and support my journey ! Now looking forward your next post.