Saturday, September 13, 2014

On weekends


Thank you for reading my posts guys and for all your support in writing this blog. Now I almost feel like I am obligated to write more entries J

Before I get into what I want to say today, I’d like to just let you guys know that I’ve dusted off my notes and will create a summary of what I think is important for each level, on a more technical basis.

This is the first weekend since I started this blog, so I’d like to say a few words on how I used my weekends. You might not find it useful or maybe even depressing, but in talking with my friends and colleagues, they’ve been telling me how they have trouble studying on weekends. So I am sharing my story with you so you know how I went though it.

First of all, everyone should have a time table. I think it’s reasonable to study a good 350 – 600 hours for any of the exams. Fully evaluate your existing knowledge base against the topic areas, you can determine whether you should study 350 hours or 600 (or more) hours for the exams. Although I’ve always put in as many hours as possible, I would have created a more “scientific” plan if I were to do this one more time. From that, take a backward approach and figure out how many hours you should study on a week day and also weekends, always build in a play day in your schedule, at least once a week where you can relax, go out and recharge.

Because I‘ve always had a full time job during all 3 levels, my weekends were all I've got. In fact I’ve studied more hours a day than I would have worked if I were working. I had almost zero social life whatsoever after work, this was a bit harsh but it’s all up to you.

To get to my point, I treated the CFA program as if I were practicing a religion, sounds pathetic? That’s how I felt too. I was a regular visitor to the local libraries, I must have regularly studied in at least 5 libraries (library hopping was fun), preferably the ones that open long hours, where I had my own quiet spot, direct sunlight was important to keep my energy up, and a big bottle of water, some chocolate bars and music, I was set for a straight 9 hours of study.

Every Saturday morning, I would get ready to go out to study. Spring here can be chilly, the air was crisp, the sun in the mornings didn’t shine to its fullest potential, I often sat in a park or just outside a library looking at surroundings for a few moments before I started the day, growing greens in early spring, people walking by pushing baby stroller, kids trying to learn to bike, squirrels coming out of winter hibernation. This moment was precious, and the highlight of my day. My mind was so clear knowing I will spend the whole day in a library studying for cfa, pressure amounted, kept me wondering what is this all about, why am I doing this? Past such a moment of reflection, I would go in find my spot, study, take notes, take a quick break every 1.5 hours, study some more, go eat lunch and come back for a few more hours until this day ends.

I suppose every one has their own style. If you were a stay-at-home person, that’s fine, but I needed to get away from my comfort zone, away from TV, internet and my bed, I needed to go into an exclusive environment where my brain can't function outside the cfa material. At time, the studies get to me and  made me feel depressed but at the same time I was excited and look forward to closing a few more chapters, a feeling of accomplishment kept me going.   

This process repeated over 3 - 4 months before the exam. I lived it, breathed it and believed it, isolated from the rest of the world. There was only two sides of my life: CFA and non-CFA. From my conversations with other people who now are charterholders, we all shared similar experience and feelings about it. If this does not resonate with you, don’t practice it like me, find a way you feel comfortable and productive. 

It is also key to have a relaxed evening to prep for the coming Sunday, so put down your books and relax tonight! Wish everyone a productive weekend!



19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your experience, it feels better to know that some other people struggle as me and has no life...I'm in the same situation and every weekend especially during summer, it is quite depressing. Thanks for your inspirational post.

Anonymous said...

Great post though a bit depressing...But at least it makes me feel i am not alone...Thanks and great blog !

Laura said...

Thanks a lot for sharing your post, much appreciated. I'm also graving the same experience as you, it is good to know that it is normal and I'm not crazy to spend my whole weekend on studying as I'm also having a full time job. Thanks for validating....great blog!

Kees said...

Your post make my day and I just show it to my gf as she complains I study too much...it is good yo know that I'm doing the same thing as someone who passes cfa. Great blog!

Anonymous said...

Your post lift up my life...every weekend I'm depressed studying and I'm still doing level 1 for the second time...wonder if I should stop it. Thanks for sharing your experience...i guess that's the price everyone has to oat in order to succeed. I'm still depressed but I enjoy very much reading your post, it is like a little treat / candy for my brain to relax.

Ben said...

Just 2 words for your post:
LOCE IT !

Thanks, very inspirational although it us a bit depressing...but that's the sad truth most people including myself are experiencing...good to know we are "normal"

Ben said...

Sorry, typo, I mean LOVE IT!

Stephen said...

You describe ver well my weekend...feel less lonely there, somehow I knew it was also the reality if other people taking cfa but it is always nice to read as it validates it for me. Sad and depressing post but it is still inspirational.

Anonymous said...

It is quite depressing but I think true if we sent to pass the exams. But in my case I have a very demanding gf (who cannot cook, so I'm the one cooking, doing all the chores at home, even laundry and ironing). So I don't have this luxury to study full time during weekend, unless I'm ready to be dumped. Not easy life...but thanks to your blog, I find it quite helpful and inspirational. Some other mentions reading your post during their study break...me I can only read it when I'm in toilet. During study break, must entertain and cook for gf.

Anonymous said...

Omg, finally I could log into your blog! I didn't gave internet since Friday night and somehow I knew you would update your blog. Thanks for the post, very true about what you say for weekend...doing level 3 and I use your blog as more inspirational than a help, but I agree with I they, your explanation on bond is so clear that even my friend doing level 1 finally got it. I tried many ways to explain to him but didn't succeed. Your blog rocks!

Anonymous said...

Your post is very well said. I cannot describe better than your post on my weekend. I'm doing level 3 for second time. I almost want to give up but reading your post gave me some energy to continue...what should I focus on level 3 ? Do you gave any tips for level 3? Thanks

Anonymous said...

Depressing post but very true...that's also my life and still doing level 1...,thinking to stop if I fail again. Thanks for the pity, it reinsure me that I'm not insane with all the weekend study.

Anonymous said...

Sorry typo, using my phone to post. I meant thanks fir the post, (not for pity). It confirms what I'm doing during weekend is not strange...as my friends find I study too much. Thanks great blog.

Rose said...

Studying level 2 while my other friends are going on a trip...reading this post on weekend was very depressing...but it made me feel I was doing the right thing. Many times I wonder if I study too much, and many times I consider to stop, even just this morning I thought to stop. But after I read your pits and all the comments, it mad me feel I'm not alone in this journey...your blog is very helpful. You should write a book on your journey, maybe give a bit background about yourself? Thanks, now counting the hours until your next post.

Anonymous said...

Thanks great post. Very inspirational and entertaining. Love your blog. You should have started this blog earlier, it would save many people as it is such a good blog, very inspirational, informative and personal. Now doing level 3 but I don't think I will pass it...this will be my third time...any tips or summary of things to focus for level 3?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your post very insightful though a bit sad post, but I guess that's the best way to pass the exams.
I wish there is like a key summary for each level, just someone who passes his or her cfa tell us how and what to study. Thanks, very inspirational.

Sandy said...

I stayed up late to study, so your post on weekend is very calming me and re-insuring me that I'm using the right approach during weekend...I am now done with study for tonight and thought to take a break...but there is something even more sad than your weekend post: no updates and no new post....so sad.....

Anonymous said...

Without exaggerating, when I saw no new update, I was so disappointed...but I'm reading the comments of other to entertain myself...going to bed now...please update soon key things to remember about level 2.

PassCFAExam said...

Thanks Laura, Kees, Ben, Stephen, Rose, Sandy and the Anonymous guys. Most appreciated. Sorry for no updates so far this week, I am jam packed with work since Monday. But working on a new strategy post and also been reviewing my notes to try to come up with a summary.

Meanwhile, keep up the reading with positive ennergy! Take a break during your studies, don't burn out before the exam.