Saturday, September 13, 2014

Answer questions on inflation

Some of you have asked to explain inflation and interest rate. Since the question is very broad, I will try to explain it in high level. I believe once you understand the basic concept, you will be able to grasp the more difficult material due to inflation.

First of all, inflation is one of the important elements that macroeconomics focuses on (on top of unemployment, recessions, government spending & taxation, budget deficits, national debts…etc). I believe everyone has a rough idea of the meaning of inflation, but does everyone know what is a real inflation and what is not a real inflation?

Inflation arises when prices are increasing. This is challenging because as prices increase, money starts to lose its value, as you need more and more money to buy the same amount of goods and services and this has a negative impact on living standards. Inflation is an important economic measurement for securities markets too because it is the rate at which the real value of an investment is eroded.

-          A one-time upsurge in prices caused by a rise in the oil price or a new tax implementation is not true inflation, unless it feeds into wages and other costs and generate a wage-price spin.
-          A price increase of one product is not in itself inflation, but may just mirror the shortage of that product.

Now that we know what inflation is really, let’s look at the cost of inflation impose on the economy:

     -      It reduces the standard of living of those on a fixed income and those who lack wage bargaining power.

     -      It decreases reduces the real value of investments such as fixed-rate loans, since the loans are paid back in dollars that buy less. Most likely, inflation results in lenders demanding a higher interest rate on the money they lend.

    -       Inflation increasing at a fast pace usually results into rising interest rates and a recession. Thus, high inflation economies usually see more severe booms and busts than low-inflation economies.

Having the basic understanding of inflation and its impact, it is important that you understand the cause of inflation:

A critical factor of inflation is the balance between supply and demand conditions in the economy. Economists use a measurement called the output gap to gauge inflation pressures in the economy by looking at the difference between real GDP, what the economy actually generates, and potential GDP, what the economy is capable of generating when its existing inputs of labour, capital, and technology are fully utilized at their normal levels of use.

A negative output gap happens when actual output is below potential output. In this case, there is spare capacity in the economy – the economy can manufacture more output because its resources are not being employed to their full capacity. Unemployed workers and unused factory and equipment resources can be called into service without influencing wages or prices. Thus, inflation will fall or remain steady.

A positive output gap happens when actual output is above potential output. In this case, the economy is operating above capacity – the economy is trying to generate more than it can with existing resources. Scarce labour stimulates in wage increases, and other strains on productive resources gives pressure on inflation.

In general, a positive output gap when output continues to expand, consumer income is rising, and this leads to strong consumer demand for goods and services. But this creates a situation whereby if companies can continue to operate well above normal capacity, they can increase prices in response to this strong demand. In this way, higher and continued consumer demand pushes inflation higher. This situation is called demand-pull inflation.

Inflation can also occur due to shocks from the supply side of the economy – when the cost of manufacturing output changes. When faced with higher production cost from higher wages or rise in the price of raw materials, companies react by increasing prices and manufacturing a smaller amount of their product. In this way, the higher costs push inflation higher. This is called cost-push inflation.

How do we measure inflation?

The Consumer Price Index (CPI) is one of the most largely used statistics of inflation and is considered a measure of the cost of living.



For example: The CPI was 121.8 in August 2012 and 120.3 in August 2011. The inflation rate over the 12-month period is calculated as followed:

Source: CSC

How inflation impacts the interest rate?


In short, inflation plays an important role in determining the level of nominal interest rate (i.e. the rate charged by a bank on a loan, or the quoted rate on an investment such as GIC or Treasury bill). Other things being equal, the greater the rate of inflation, the greater nominal interest rates will be.
Please note that real interest rate is the nominal interest rate minus the expected inflation rate.

I would conclude that as an investor who makes an investment decision to buy a security, based on a forward-looking expectation about the future return of the security, I would also consider inflation especially if I am buying a fixed income security as it can decrease the value of my investment.
I hope this helps. Since it is very broad and high level explanation, I would encourage you to review related chapter on the CFA curriculum.

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much, I have been waiting for your update. Although I didn't ask the question on inflation, as I thought I understand it, I learn more on inflation thanks to you! This the best explanation on inflation. Very well structured. Great blog!

Lisao said...

Wow thanks for this post. I didn't expect to see any update today as it is weekend. Very pleasantly surprised ! I knew what was inflation but now thanks to your very well structured overview in inflation, I learn more on inflation and most important i understand better the relationship with interest rate. Tnanks

Anonymous said...

Thanks, that's the best explanation on inflation. Fir me, it is not a difficult topic but the way you structure it so well, it makes it so clear the impact and relationship of inflation to other determinant such as interest rate. Thanks, definitively will come back to your blog!

Nielsen said...

Great, thanks, it answers my question. I will review more the section in the book, but at least now I have a good structure on this inflation concept. You should be writing a book ! It will be a great success as your post and blog!

Anonymous said...

I agree with everyone, very well structured explanation! Was looking forward your blog the whole night! Will be reading other comments tonight! Great blog! I already save it in my favorite and read it any time I have a chance! Beside CFA, I think you have a good skill to explain the complex financial complex into a very easy understandable way,so I agree you should write a book, maybe investment for everyone from basic to cfa? If it is a success, I give you my bank account for the royalties :) j/k

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot for the explanation. I was one of the person who asks about it. It is very clear and it gives me a clear overview about it. The section on this in the book is a bit deeper but with your very clear explanation I immediately understand the more difficult issues remarked to inflation. Thanks, really great post.

Anonymous said...

Thumb up for your clear and well structures explanation! I bow ! Because I thought I already knew everything on this topic but I learn a few thing with your post. It will bade me curious to check more on the nominal and real rate. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Excellent blog! Thanks and always high quality explanation, I will come back, it is the only thing that I can afford during my time break.

Jeff said...

Thanks for the explanation and your weekend post (although a bit depressing but true reality for most of us). I saw you update some of your older post, for example you added a tangle under strategy. Fortunately I was reading back otherwise I will miss it. Maybe you should put a title text on top of your blog saying "update or add new material on following post: strategy 2, yield curve..,"
Maybe make that sentence blink blink and remove that sentence after 7 days. I'm sure for people who already know your blog and read your blog, like me, we will fine babka often so 7 days is enough. Great blog!

Marcia said...

I love your blog in general and I particularly enjoy reading your explanation on bond and this inflation post. It shows a high level of quality as you structure very well your answer to make sure we understand the basic. I know for some people it may be too basic, but I think you are right, once we have the basic understanding of a concept, we can understand the more complex issues related to this concept. Thanks so much, you open a lot of light for me especially you make me feel there is no dumb question. Really love love and love your blog!

George said...

Love is understatement ! For me, I'm addicted to your blog, I find it not just very inspirational but also very entertaining :) but in a smart way. It is also really nice from you to take your time to share your personal,experience and to lay down clear and structured explanation on difficult concept. Actually I disagree with Marcia when she says it is basic. I don't think your explanation on binds was basic. Having passed level 1 and now doing level 2, I think your explanation on bond was more than basic. People may think it us too basic is because the structured way you explain is so well explained that make any dumb people to understand, may give wrong perception that it is basic explanation. I think you have ver well covered the basic concept plus something extra, by showing the impact, cause...etc.
Great post!

Marcia said...

George, I have never said the explanation on bond is too basic. For me, it was very well explained and cover more than the basic concept. I only said for some people it may be too basic. Actually I also passed level 1 and doing level 2 and it thought I understood completely the matter but with the post on bond and inflation, i realize I didn't understand some concept well, so I also think it covers more than base.
Thanks for the blog again!

Paula said...

Thanks for the clear and well structured explanation. I think it covers well the base and it gives little insight to the more complex issues related to this concept. But I think it is also up to us to go and find more info. We cannot just wait to be feed. Definitively very good post and great blog! Very inspirational and helpful.

Mirabelle said...

Thanks a lot for your post. Agree with other very well explained. You must be Avery dedicated, thoughtful, and considerate person, to come up ith such well structured explanation to make sure we understand. Will you be able to put key summary of things we need to remember for level 2? Thanks

Mira said...

Thanks a lot for your post. Agree with other very well explained. You must be Avery dedicated, thoughtful, and considerate person, to come up ith such well structured explanation to make sure we understand. Will you be able to put key summary of things we need to remember for level 2? Thanks

Bart said...

Wow your blog is really the nicest one on this field. It is personal, inspirational and very helpful. It is very nice of you to take your time to blog on this topic, and it is very considerate of you to answer our questions in such a structured, clear approach that makes everything simple to understand even the hardest material. Looking forward your next post...very entertaining fir me too, the on,y entertainment I get during my study break. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot for your blog! You have no idea how your blog motivate me to continue and it really save me from depression. You did a great thing without you know. Thanks. I love your post on weekend !

Anonymous said...

Me too, you save me from depression. You have no idea. Your blog is not just very helpful and entertaining but it really save me from giving up and kept me to stay in touch with reality and give me some recomfort. Thanks for saving my life.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the explanation. Very clear and well explained! I enjoy reading your blog a lot and I was so glad to see your new post even on weekend! Your blog is really great!

Nick said...

I heard a lot about your blog from friends doing cfa, and I didn't understand what's the big deal. I read it and now you have another big fan! It is really great you share your personal experience, even this depressing weekend post is helpful and motivating. Thanks. Your blog is really great! You should write a book on your cfa adventure! Haha :)
I also like very much your post on bonds, very clear and well structured.

Roger said...

I agree with other, your blog is very helpful! I was extremely depressed as I just broke up with a gf of 7 years and it is not really due to my study but it may have contributed to the breakup as I didn't have much time for her. It's good to know other are also experiencing hardship during this journey. Your blog is like a helpful hand that pulls he out if the water. Thanks! I'm very grateful fit my friend to give me your blog.

Anonymous said...

Thanks....but where are your new post...dying for your new post....clicking and waiting...please update soon. Thanks....my kinky entertainment and relaxing moment is reading your bog !

Anonymous said...

Me too, I have been waiting, clicking to your blog, but sadly no new post...your blog is like my vitamin....today no vitamin, no energy to go to work , to entertain my gf, to study and no motivation to even go toilet....my ritual was to read your blog when doing my business in the toilet.
Counting the hours for you to add a new post....

Anonymous said...

Me too I'm really dying for your update and new post. Omg, when are you going to update your blog...please...no pressure but really find your blog helpful and inspirational.

Anonymous said...

Thanks,me too , anticipating for new post but I understand you may not blog every day as you may also be busy...but still so sad not yo see new post...your blog is very inspirational fir me, and I believe for others too based on their comments.

PassCFAExams said...

Hey guys Hope you all having a productive week. Mine is jam packed since I came back to work on Monday, couldn't start a new strategy post last night.

Thanks for the suggestions, I am going to add more if you are waiting... my apologies here.

Keep on reading, don't stop. I will come back with more posts shortly.

Anonymous said...

Thanks ! much appreciated ! this is very helpful blog. I find very insightful the way you answer questions and explain difficult material in an easy way...just simple to understand. I think you have well covered the basic concept + a bit extra enough for us to dig further and understand the more complex material related to this topic (inflation). I really love Bond post ! One of the very best and well structured explanation on bond I ever read !I alss enjoy very much reading all the comments. The only thing is to my disappointment you didn't update your blog yesterday...crossing finger you will put a new post. Looking forward it...

Anonymous said...

No new post???? so sad....